The RequirementsTo be a good fit for this opportunity you will have:
- A bachelor's degree or the equivalent experience.
- Three to five years of experience in a consultative, outside sales role, with a strong preference given to a background in selling advertising solutions to a variety of retail business-to-consumer industries.
- Proven success in account management and increasing sales in a competitive marketplace.
- Excellent negotiating skills.
- Experience with digital media sales is strongly preferred, but at a minimum you will need a passion for all things digital; including strong computer skills, be Internet savvy, and show an enthusiasm for learning new systems.
- Familiarity with social media and SEO/SEM.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Experience with a leading CRM/sales management application, ideally salesforce.com.
- A valid driver’s license, reliable transportation and verifiable automobile insurance.
- The ability to attend after hours or weekend customer entertainment and networking events, usually at local concerts and sporting events.
- Strong self-motivation, goal orientation and a high-energy, positive approach.
- Expertise in developing relationships.
- Openness to change, flexibility and the ability to learn quickly.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills; including strong grammar and spelling skills.
- A self-starter mentality.
- The ability to multi-task, handle pressure and work under deadlines in a goal-oriented sales environment.
- Strong organizational skills.
- The desire to be a team player.
The RoleReporting directly to the Key Accounts Advertising Manager, as Key Account Manager you will join the Key Accounts Advertising team where you will be responsible for selling print and digital advertising solutions for The Plain Dealer, cleveland.com and the Sun News. Focusing on local clients in the home improvement, auto after-market and quick-service restaurant (QSR) space, your goal will be to grow new and existing business through a consultative, needs-based selling approach where you’ll recommend the best strategies and create custom multi-platform advertising campaigns that exceed customer expectations. You can expect to spend the majority of your time conducting face-to-face meetings and building relationships with decision makers at businesses throughout Northeast Ohio.
Our product suite is extensive and will allow you to offer your clients a variety of targeted products and solutions -- from special print ad inserts, direct mail programs, and custom print and published products, to digital campaigns and SEO/SEM solutions. You will divide your time between servicing the existing customer base and targeting new home improvement, QSR, and automotive businesses within your territory. You can expect to manage between 20-25 existing active accounts, where you will interact with a variety of contacts throughout the local business market including owners, general sales managers, and other key decision makers. Although this territory is ripe with local opportunity (with the ability for national exposure as well), it is a competitive region. We'll look to you to develop strong relationships with these contacts, leveraging your excellent presentation and negotiation skills to successfully close sales.
Although you'll work independently to manage your accounts and meet your established goals, it's also important to note that this is a team-oriented environment. You'll join a group that includes seven other Account Executives and you'll collaborate with these professionals to attend sales meetings, share ideas and challenges, and provide vacation and sick coverage for one another. You will also be involved in ad processing, budgeting and offering creative input to maximize our automotive advertising market share.
Your specific activities will include:
- Building relationships with existing automotive accounts by maintaining and optimizing campaigns, and renewing or up-selling.
- Proactively identifying new business opportunities through cold calling, networking, marketing, referrals and lead databases.
- Building and managing a pipeline of active accounts.
- Exceeding established revenue goals.
- Serving as a marketing consultant by providing industry insights through up-to-date knowledge of industry trends.
- Presenting proposals, conducting needs analysis and developing ad campaign solutions.
- Creating and maintaining relationships/partnerships through networking.
Keys to SuccessIn addition to your experience selling to a variety of retail clients, to excel in this role you also will need to be flexible and possess outstanding multi-tasking abilities. The most successful people in this role will be dialed into digital media -- avid users of social networking who can't imagine living without the Internet. In addition, you'll need a strong sense of ownership and a drive for results. We're looking for someone who is eager to take ownership of their territory and stay up-to-date on the latest industry trends.
This is a fast-paced environment and we have a very comprehensive and extensive portfolio of products. This means you will need to have the ability to not only gain an in-depth understanding of the products, but to also serve as an expert on the offerings, making recommendations on which product is appropriate for each client's specific needs. We're looking for someone who has the verbal and written communication skills that underscore an ability to explain a vast array of products and services in a simple and concise manner.
If you have an entrepreneurial mindset and you're also eager to grow your career in a collaborative, team environment, then this could be the ideal opportunity for you.