The RequirementsTo be a good fit for this opportunity you should have:
- A bachelor’s degree; an MBA or MA in a relevant field is preferred.
- At least three years of experience in analytics in a business or media-planning environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office; including experience utilizing Access as a relational database, and very strong Excel skills (pivot tables, macros, etc.).
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proven data analysis skills and strategic thinking abilities.
- Experience translating abstract concepts and data into clear narratives and developing reports that track trends.
- The ability to work independently, prioritize tasks, and collaborate across the organization to share insights and implement tactics based on findings.
Familiarity with any of the following media research tools and platforms will be helpful:
- Kantar Media reports
- Omniture SiteCatalyst
- The Media Audit
- Statistical software packages (SPSS, R, etc.)
- GIS mapping products such as MapInfo or Nielsen PrimeLocation.
- A background in newspaper/TV/radio, advertising, and/or e-commerce.
- Freelance writing and design experience.
The RoleReporting directly to the Market Research Manager, as Data Analyst you will be responsible for analyzing and studying trends and data that may affect advertising revenue, circulation or readership growth on our print and digital platforms, and also assisting in the advertising sales effort by making presentations and sales collateral based on data analysis.
You’ll join a team that will include two other Analysts, and we’ll look to you to leverage your strong analytical skills to take large amounts of data and transform that data into tangible information and materials that our sales team can use and present to customers and potential advertisers. You’ll have access to a creative team that will help with the design aspect of your collateral pieces, but you should possess the communication and writing skills to do some of the creative work and messaging on your own as well.
Working closely with advertising sales personnel to develop detailed industry/sales knowledge and nurture a strong client-analyst relationship, you will also collaborate with a variety of other key contacts and departments including management, marketing, pre-press, and both the retail and classified sides of the advertising group.
The majority of your analytics will be based on routine reports and criteria, but you’ll also handle various ad hoc reporting requests, such as looking into which clients are spending the most on television.
Note: this description is intended to give you a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities.
Keys to SuccessTo excel in this role you will have specialized quantitative research capabilities and the ability to write technical sales collateral in a way that is easy for our sales team to understand and utilize. Strong verbal and written communication skills will be essential in order to present research findings with clarity, effectiveness and accuracy. Regardless of the complexity of the data, molding the information with an eye to transparency and simplicity will be an essential component to your success.
Although we won’t expect you to come in with expertise in the many advertising and consumer research databases we work with, you should have a penchant for numbers, data and statistics and the learning acumen to quickly get up to speed with the various media tools and programs. You’ll know you are making a positive impact when the sales team is able to utilize the data and information you provide to make a powerful impression on clients and drive sales.